Sunday, February 17, 2008

Valentine's Day: Or How I Learned to Stop Loathing and Love the Day

So my first post will involve a holiday that for many is quite controversial, especially when one is left without another to share the supposedly "Hallmark Holiday" with (this includes myself). So although several days to late here are my thoughts on the holiday....as I would rather express my opinion now rather than have to wait another year.
From my observations there appears to be three types of people when it comes to the holiday: the enthusiasts, the neutral, and those that hate the holiday with their heart. I must admit that up until a few days prior to this past holiday, I was a firm member of the last category; however, for some odd reason...I switched to the enthusiast side of the force.
I began to realize that although the holiday is cheesy to a degree and does in fact make love into a commodity (but everything else already does, so that is not really too big of a problem), it is truly a magical day. I began to realize that although the emphasis is placed on the love one has for their significant other (thus spawning Single Awareness Day or SAD)....it is far more meaningful. The love on this holiday does not end with one's significant other but stretches out to one's family, friends, coworkers, countrymen, etc...until it is a love that encompasses the entirety of the world like the Blob sort of.
It is a day where one can put aside their fear, their hatred, their greed (unless they really, really love money I guess) and express their love for humanity. Sure there is evil out there, but sometimes one must embrace those around them and be joyful for simply being alive.
So there is my stance on all things related to Valentine's Day. Sure it can be cheesy, but in a world so full of hate and pain....maybe cheesy is what we need.

No comments: